- in 1%Club, Afrilabs, Akvo, Appfrica Labs, BantaLabs, Business, Cameroon, crowdfunding, Crowdsourced, Development, Development 2.0, Economics, Entrepreneurship, ethnography, Events, Hive Colab, Hivos, ICT, ICT 4 Uganda, ICT Africa, ICT4Uganda, iHub, Incubator, Information Resources, Interview, Investment Africa, JokkoLabs, kampala, Kenya, Kenya Elections, Limbe Labs, Mobile, Mobile Reporting, Nailab, Nigeria, OLPC, Open Source, Research, Social Web, Software, Software Studies, Start up, Startups, Technology, Telecom, uganda, Ushahidi, VC 4 Africa, VC4Africa Meetup, vc4africa.com, venture capital
- 2 Comments
Afrilabs is registered and ready for business in 2011
Last year, at the launch of the iHub in Nairobi, Bill Zimmerman (ActivSpaces), Jon Gosier (Hive Colab), Erik Hersman (iHub), Bart Lacroix (1% Club) and myself came together to discuss the emergence of technology incubators on the continent. Especially this idea that the labs we see coming online are often independent initiatives i.e. either a single entrepreneur or small group of entrepreneurs coming together to form an open collaboration space for the local tech community.
From our discussions it was made clear that there was not only a need to start working more together but to see how we can support new initiatives just starting out. And at the same time coming to the realization that the entrepreneurs with the best ideas still need support if they are going to successfully transition to market. These are some of the initial motivations that have been transformed into the network organization Afrilabs. We have two primary activities where on one side we are looking to support the development of healthy/sustainable labs and on the other we seek to support the most promising entrepreneurs ready to escape their walls.
We are pleased to announce that the foundation has been registered and we are now working to secure the partners and support we need to roll out a number of exciting plans and activities.
Watch this space, let’s join forces and connect soon!
About zia505The world is changing right before my eyes. Sometimes I don't know how I will ever keep up. There are so many ideas floating around on this internet. If only I had the means to collect them....
- Accelerators scramble for new revenue streams as equity model fails techinasia.com/accelerators-s… 16 hours ago
- RT @remoteok_jobs: .@vc4africa is now looking for a Web developer Full Stack remotely #fullstack #dev #webdev 👉 remoteok.io/jobs/61892-rem… 22 hours ago
- RT @heylizelle: Join the 4th annual African Angel Investor Summit #AAIS2017 @VC4Africa. This looks incredible! The next Billion! https://t.… 5 days ago
Search my blog
See Recent Posts
- Up and running, African Business Angels Network (ABAN) launches at EBAN 2014
- 10 investments for unleashing the entrepreneurial ecosystem
- The latest from the Kauffman Sketchbook – “Go Be An Entrepreneur”
- Launch Angel Investor network in Lagos, Nigeria
- Tech4Africa Google Hangout with African Tech Hubs