- in ActivSpaces, Afrilabs, Development, Development 2.0, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Events, ICT, ICT Africa, Incubator, Investment Africa, Mobile, Open Source, Research, Sanaga Ventures, Social Web, Software, Software Studies, Start up, Startups, Technology, Uncategorized, VC 4 Africa, VC4Africa Meetup, vc4africa.com, venture capital
- 1 Comment
Sanaga Ventures opens Amsterdam office @NDSM Wharf
Bill Zimmerman and myself have co-founded Sanaga Ventures. This is a company that seeks to build on our mutual interests and combined strengths. Particularly we seek to support the rise of the African technology sector and work on a number of projects including ActivSpaces, AfriLabs and VC4Africa among others. We are pleased to join the Butterfly Works maker’s space. Butterfly Works is a do-tank that combines design with finding sustainable answers to international social issues. It’s a great team and we look forward to collaborating and sharing together.
The space is located in a former shipyard on the northern banks of the IJ – just a 5 minute ferry ride from Amsterdam Central Station. A creative industrial area larger than 10 football fields, the NDSM wharf is now a center for underground culture in Amsterdam. This huge area contains the NDSM hall, a hangar-like structure 20,000 sq. meters in area and 20 meters in height, and two historic ship slipways (Hellingen) housing workshops and artists’ studios. From the sixteen cranes that once stood here, only one remains. Otherwise a landmark for the area and a perfect beacon for our new endeavors.
The surrounding area is packed with a diverse network of organizations and the NDSM wharf offers facilities for a number of artistic disciplines and small crafts industries. The wharf has also become a sanctuary for individual artists and craftspeople as well as for independent organizations, both established and less known, to cooperate, inspire and create. Sanaga, in its mission to invest in industries, people and ideas, is excited to be part of this culture.
Tags: active spaces, activspaces, Africa, Afrilabs, Amsterdam, Business, Butterfly Works, continent, early stage, entrepreneur, final, finance, frontier, Internet, Inves, Investment, Mobile, NDSM, Netherlands, Sanaga Ventures, seed, Tech, Technology, vc, vc4africa, venture capital, venturing, web, Werf, Wharf
About zia505The world is changing right before my eyes. Sometimes I don't know how I will ever keep up. There are so many ideas floating around on this internet. If only I had the means to collect them....
- RT @TLAAfrica: .@AfricaTechSMT @ABANAngels @AbacusKe @africatbn @VC4Africa @tomjackson1988 @tiphubAfrica @cairoangels @DisruptAfrica @Afric… 4 days ago
- RT @TLAAfrica: There are 46% female founders on the @VC4Africa platform. #Diversity is important for success. The founding team is key @VC4… 4 days ago
- RT @TLAAfrica: 'If you can't pitch to media, you will probably bomb with VCs'. True, but important to remember those are two very different… 4 days ago
Search my blog
See Recent Posts
- Up and running, African Business Angels Network (ABAN) launches at EBAN 2014
- 10 investments for unleashing the entrepreneurial ecosystem
- The latest from the Kauffman Sketchbook – “Go Be An Entrepreneur”
- Launch Angel Investor network in Lagos, Nigeria
- Tech4Africa Google Hangout with African Tech Hubs