- in Crowdsourced, Development, Development 2.0, End User, Entrepreneurship, ethnography, ICT, ICT 4 Uganda, ICT Africa, ICT4Uganda, Information Resources, Kenya Elections, Media in Africa, Mobile, Mobile Reporting, Open Source, Research, Social Web, Software, Software Studies, Startups, Technology
- 1 Comment
Africa’s revolution coming to you on twitter
If you haven’t seen this yet, here is a great insight into the development of Twitter in Africa. The recent events in Egypt, and across the N.African region, have shown us what coming levels of connectivity can bring about. Youth connected can change the world?
Here were some facts from the Portland report:
· South Africa is the continent’s most active country by volume of geo-located Tweets, with over twice as many Tweets (5,030,226 during Q4 2011) as the next most active Kenya (2,476,800). Nigeria (1,646,212), Egypt (1,214,062) and Morocco (745,620) make up the remainder of the top five most active countries.
· 57% of Tweets from Africa are sent from mobile devices.
· 60% of Africa’s most active Tweeters are aged 20-29.
· Twitter in Africa is widely used for social conversation, with 81% of those polled saying that they mainly used it for communicating with friends.
· Twitter is becoming an important source of information in Africa. 68% of those polled said that they use Twitter to monitor news. 22% use it to search for employment opportunities.
· African Twitter users are active across a range of social media, including Facebook, YouTube, Google+ and LinkedIn.
Read the report in full detail.
About zia505The world is changing right before my eyes. Sometimes I don't know how I will ever keep up. There are so many ideas floating around on this internet. If only I had the means to collect them....
- An inspired mind and passionate advocate has been lost today. Africa, world mourn death of renowned Harvard profess… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- And an open invitation to be involved in “Crafting A Digital Innovation & Entrepreneurship Manifesto For Africa” by… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @femilonge: I just published “Crafting A Digital Innovation & Entrepreneurship Manifesto For Africa” medium.com/p/crafting-a-d… 1 day ago
Search my blog
See Recent Posts
- Up and running, African Business Angels Network (ABAN) launches at EBAN 2014
- 10 investments for unleashing the entrepreneurial ecosystem
- The latest from the Kauffman Sketchbook – “Go Be An Entrepreneur”
- Launch Angel Investor network in Lagos, Nigeria
- Tech4Africa Google Hangout with African Tech Hubs