- in Access to Finance, Angel Investor, Business, Business Modeling, Business Models, Crowdsourced, Development, Development 2.0, entrepreneur, Entrepreneurship, ICT Africa, Incubator, Information Resources, Interview, Investment Africa, investor, Kenya, Media in Africa, SME, Social Web, Software, Software Studies, Start up, Startups, Technology, vc4africa.biz, venture capital
- Leave a comment
Mxit, the 800 pound Gorilla that is Africa’s largest social network
Paul Stemmet of World Of Avatar, an African focused tech investor, gave a presentation at Mobile Web East Africa (Hashtag: #MWEA2012). In addition to his launch of Shinka.sh – a mobile ad network, he clearly wanted to highlight the jewel in their crown, the obviously popular MxIt. The site now has some 50M users, supports over 3500 different mobile devices (they are planning to make it open platform), and processes round 750 million messages daily. Out of 50 million registered users, 12,500,000 are active, making Mxit truly the biggest African Mobile Social network.
It’s no surprise to see new ventures come online with the ambition to tap into a similar opportunity. One example is Saya Mobile, a Ghanian tech startup that recently emerged from the MEST program. They recently unveiled a mobile chat app they hope will rival the likes of BBM, ZiNG … and of course the 800 pound Gorilla Mxit.
About zia505The world is changing right before my eyes. Sometimes I don't know how I will ever keep up. There are so many ideas floating around on this internet. If only I had the means to collect them....
- @marctita @TinaAllton @Marcelloscherme @vuyisaq @VC4Africa @ABANAngels @SObedih @tomjackson1988 @wbaforum… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- RT @AbdiganiDiriye: Well done to @SomaliSTEM and @DrSadiyoSiad for running the first Somali STEM Summit in Mogadishu as part of @NextEinste… 4 days ago
- RT @VC4Africa: Where any startup requires cash to operate, it is the application of capital in smart ways that secures a greater impact and… 1 week ago
Search my blog
See Recent Posts
- Up and running, African Business Angels Network (ABAN) launches at EBAN 2014
- 10 investments for unleashing the entrepreneurial ecosystem
- The latest from the Kauffman Sketchbook – “Go Be An Entrepreneur”
- Launch Angel Investor network in Lagos, Nigeria
- Tech4Africa Google Hangout with African Tech Hubs